Connect with DMPL at the Library and Online
The East Side Library will hold a program for poetic knitters on Tuesday, May 14 at 4:00 PM. This event is open to knitters and crocheters of all ages who also love poetry. Please bring your own yarn and needles and a favorite poem to share.
Paper.li Social Network
Our social media librarians have joined a new social network to keep library users updated on book and library-related current events. Paper.li is an online newspaper that allows DMPL to compile interesting and fun online finds. To view the page, go to the library’s homepage and click on the “P” icon under “Quick Links”. No sign up is necessary. Our paper.li is updated weekly, so be sure to check in regularly for updates.
Crafty Events for Teens at the Central Library
Are you a teen who loves arts and crafts? The Central Library has several programs in May that are perfect for crafty readers.
Crafternoon Hangout: Upcycled Books
This month, we will be using old books to create fantastic new items. Enjoy your early out day on Wednesday, May 15 at 2:30 PM with some crafts, snacks, and laughs.
Teen Craft and Cooking Hours
Library branches will host programs full of crafts and cooking this month. Students in grades six to twelve are invited, and materials will be provided.
- Wednesday, May 15, 1:30 PM, South Side Library: Make origami that will be displayed in the Children’s Area. Snacks will be provided.
- Tuesday, May 21, 4:00 PM, Franklin Avenue Library: Bead bracelets, key chains, earrings, and more. Snacks will be provided.
Plenty of Teen Activities at the Library in May
The Forest Avenue Library will continue to offer a free HyperStream STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) program this month. HyperStream was created by the Technology Association of Iowa and focuses on fostering real-world interaction and project-based learning through hands-on projects and competitions. Tech Tuesday will be held on May 14 and May 28 at 4:00 PM.
Pizza and Pages
Pizza and reading – what a great combination! Stop by one of the Pizza and Pages programs this month to share a story and a slice.
- Wednesday, May 15, 2:00 PM, North Side Library: Impulse by Ellen Hopkins
East Side Teen Events: ages 12-18
- Tues. May 21st 4:00-5:00 p.m. Teen Book Discussion-The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Ask at front desk for copy of book. Treats Provided
- Tues. May 28th 4:00-5:00 p.m. Internet Cafe -Come join your friends and use Library's laptops to connect on Social Networks and games. Treats Provided.
For more information, call Jan Kaiser
Des Moines Public Library 515.283.4103
1000 Grand Ave. Des Moines, Iowa 50309-3027
515.283.4152 FAX: 515.237.1654
Greg Heid, Director